‘Young Voices of the Nile’ is the first of what we hope will be many books in the series that provides youth from different countries a chance to write about something important to them. This could be their pride in their country, family, a social issue or their favorite sport. Their stories are a way for the rest of the world to get to know something more about life in another country.
The book is a collection of writings and short stories by the sons and daughters of the ‘mamas’ who work at a small orphanage in Jinja, Uganda. The ‘mamas’ are the Ugandan staff of this orphanage and this affectionate title reflects their dual roles as mothers to their own children and as the primary caregivers. The orphanage (Amani Baby Cottage) cares for orphans (newborns, babies and toddlers) whose parents have either died, abandoned them or are unable to care for them at this time in their lives.
- 31 Reflections and Short Stories from 25 Young Voices
- Original hand-drawn artwork by the authors
- Authors come from Grades 5-7
- Note: 100% net proceeds from the sale of ‘Young Voices of the Nile’ goes to Total Family Outreach / Amani Babies Cottage
- Color / Artwork: Various hand-drawn sketches in pencil or crayon
- Pages: 44
- Reading Level (Age): 7/8 and up
- Comprehension (Age): 7/8 and up